Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Tablet vs. Slate




So I've managed to borrow a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (GT-P7500) from our local hardware pusher. Thinking the Samsung Galaxy tab is exactly what I need.
Now there's a few factors that plays a role here:
The wife got her self an Ipad 3.
I've just embrased the Google platform with google maps as the primary drive.
The fact I like the Google philosofy more then the Apple philosofy has a point.

My main problem actually is that since I swapped my nokia for a BB, and I don't regret it. I've been unable to navigate.

My sister in law showed my her HTC phone with Google navigation, and I knew exactly what I needed to do. Get an android platform with GPS.

For that you can go get a mobile, but my BB takes care of all the things you want from a mobile, except navigation. So what to do? Use analogue maps, I think not.
Looking around and I came to terms with the fact I didn't have a Tab/pad. never needed it, and had trouble seeing it's use. Well Navigation then, okay. It'll do that and it does, perfectly (using 3G with a data package).

I borrowed a 5" Wifi thing I used for a while and it worked great also, with 2 problems:
I'm getting old so smaller isn't better.
Wifi isn't connecting while being mobile.

But for Google platform it was great (with my glasses on). So I started looking for it's big brother this 10.1 tab with the intent to buy it. During my screenings I've noticed the Asus Transformer also, and the Keyboard attachment seems like a nice thing, but it's more cash and I can't test it before buying.

The Samsung will do. So:
I've been trying to feed it fully for 16 hours, not letting it rest much and I still haden't reach 100% and now i forgot the charger at home, so starting it's first day with 50%. So far I'm cheapish with it's usage, and it's holding up. The real roadtest will be tomorrow. Seminar day.

You're now wondering what that has to do with Sci-fi culture :)
I've just finished reading Caiphas Cain book I had managed to scavenge at the local Library (it isn't black). And my love for Warhammer 40K fills me with emotions. Well anyone knowing anything about 40K knows of the strong beliefs within both the Space Marines and the Imperial Guard.
Also during this weekend I finished off Empyrean Age by Tony Gonzales, which co insides very well with Inferno releasing the next day :)

But all the reading I notice a thing keep popping up (the Data slate). It's everywhere. and these books I believe were written before the release of Ipads atleast before they became common.
Thinking about Star trek, I recall them using dataslates to share information also. Thinking Star Wars I seem to have an impression they had them also.
Reading them as data slates for some week and a half, maybe 2 that name has stuck.
The Wife have her paddi, and she likes it, the kids like it, and it's Ipads.
When I took the 5" wifi slate home with me, they asked what it was and I answered a data slate, which they of course didn't understand. They had a look and it was from then on my Iphone.... Same thing with my sister in law saw it. it was my Iphone, when realising it was an android it was my mobile...

Completely ignoring the fact I kept calling it a slate, the Slate and so on.
After a few days they started simply correcting me to call it a tablet. (tablet is in danish a pill). I really don't like that word.

At any rate digging into what such a device should be used for, we actually quite quickly got to the conclusion that is was a datapad or slate...The wife being a sci-fi fan helps ;)
Now getting home yesterday with the 10.1" everything made more sense to the non believers.

I'm surprised how quickly I've managed to it up to my liking, there's still a few bugs that I can't seem to iron out or find a work around for, so all in all it's exactly what I want.
Next step will be figuring out how to mobilize it... A shoulder bag?
One thing is for certain I'm going have such a slate with me henceforth.

It's seemingly easy connection to the Google world with all the applications that offers where excell sheet is my last roadblock. Now I haven't written this blog on it, but every following Blog will be. And once I find a good way to send stuff for inspection back and forth it'll be perfect for showing stuff to people explaining stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment